Essential Functions in Church Planting
A clear, compelling picture of a desired future that directs and shapes the church planting activity for the denomination, a presbytery, network, or church and provides a unifying and catalytic effect for that body.
2. STRATEGIC PLANNING
Laying out the values, goals, and action plans for attaining the vision.
- Being involved in the planning activities on a local, regional, or denominational level
- Includes site development and project proposals
- Includes budgeting
3. PRAYER MOBILIZATION
Recruiting people to pray for the vision and church planting efforts of that body understanding “That unless the Lord builds the house they labor in vain who build it” (Psalm 127:1). Praying for laborers for the harvest (Matthew 9:38).
- Keeping people informed through videos, prayer letters, and personal reports.
- Prayer teams for every church plant/planter
- Church prayer teams
- Prayer sessions at conferences
Forming and equipping teams to shape the vision and move it forward including teams for each of the critical factors whether it be for the denomination, presbytery, network, or church.
- MNA Committees (General Assembly and presbytery)
- Key Leaders Conferences and Strategy Summits
- Staff (General Assembly, networks, presbytery, and churches)
- Church planting teams – prayer teams, financial teams, ministry teams, support (coaching, care, accountability) teams
5. DEVELOPMENT (of church planters)
Cultivating a growing “pool” or “pipeline” of potential church planters. This involves not only building a list of names but helping these candidates develop a vision and passion for church planting, developing skills for church planting, and gaining exposure to and experience in church planting so that a high percentage actually pursue a call to church planting. In this sense this functions as a “farm system” for future church planters.
- Seminaries, colleges, and eventually even high schools
- Readiness seminars and vision casting events
- Campus ministries (RUF, Campus Crusade, IVP, Campus Outreach, etc.)
- Assistant and Associate Pastors
- “Home growing” in local churches – e.g. Ruling elders, staff, lay persons
- Summer internships
Identifying and recruiting men who are ready to plant a church.
- Pastors and Associate/Assistant Pastors
- Experienced church planters
- Seminaries and RUF
Organically and formally discerning if men have the calling, character, and competencies for being church planters.
- Local affirmation and encouragement
- MNA Credentialed Assessment Centers
Equipping men with the knowledge and skills they need to be effective church planters.
- Church Planter Orientation
- Church Planter Basic Training
- MNA Summer Training Conference
- Other conferences: ESL, Mercy, Embers to a Flame, Regional Conferences, Hispanic Convocation, etc.
- Church Planting Apprenticeships
- New strategies for leadership training (apprenticeship based)
Assisting various bodies in finding the right church planter and church planters to find the right opportunities. “Matchmaking” activity.
- Includes site visits and project profiles
- Working effectively with core groups and local contacts
Assisting church bodies and church planters raise the necessary funds for planting a specific church.
- Facilitating connections with potential individual and church donors.
- Vision events and fundraising events (e.g. a golf tournament and dinner)
- Timothy Fund
11.COACHING AND CARE
Providing personalized coaching, mentoring, and support for every church planter and his family.
- Helping every presbytery have a plan for mentoring, supporting and caring for their church planters and their families.
- Includes recruiting and training men and women to be coaches.
- Includes “Couples Conferences” and retreats.
- Providing the means for counseling.
- Peer coaching.
- Making planters aware of and helping to utilize available resources (Church Planter Update, websites, books, conferences, etc.)
Communicating and celebrating the things that God is doing for His praise and the edification of the body.
- Reports at conferences, at local gatherings