5 Practical Activities for Harvest Time
- Fall is a great time to take your ESL students on a field trip. Just one class could go or your entire ESL School. Consider going to an apple orchard and picking apples, or going to a pumpkin patch and picking pumpkins. You could all go back to the church for a chili dinner and have a pumpkin carving contest.
- Have a “cooking class” during your regular class time in your church’s kitchen or at another time in a teacher’s home. You could teach them to bake an apple pie or roast a turkey or make some other fall comfort food popular in your area of the country.
- Does your church have a Fall Festival? Ask your students to contribute to the festival with booths that introduce their home countries and cultures. Additionally, your ESL Ministry could have a booth – maybe a corn hole game using a map of the world – that would advertise your ESL Classes to internationals in your community that come to the festival for fun.
- Create lesson plans that include fall vocabulary – i.e. pumpkin patch, hay ride, maple syrup.
- Include fall favorites during snack time: candied apples, candy corn, etc…
Throw a holiday party. Click here for suggestions.
Put on a play. Click here for a downloadable PDF. This play is one way to teach your international students the story of Thanksgiving. It is designed to reach students at a beginner level of English. It will have more impact if it is done by teachers that the students already know. I encourage you to have at least minimal costumes. This could be done during break time on a regular school night or at a special party or dinner celebrating Thanksgiving. It was written by Julie Baugh, MNA ESL Trainer. of the play.
Symbols of Christmas. Click here for a simple activity that introduces English learners to the Christmas story through traditional Christmas symbols such as the Christmas tree, wreaths, ornaments, and so on.
The Symbols of Christmas PowerPoint Presentation
Right – Left Game. Click here for a fun and light-hearted gift-giving game to play at your Christmas party.
Christmas hymns Bible study
Ideas for using Resurrection Eggs, Easter baskets, and more. Click here.
The Last Words of Christ Bible study