Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age. Matthew 28: 19-20
Korean American Leadership Initiative (KALI) is a working group out of the Mission to North America (MNA). We are dedicated to cultivating greater participation and development of future Korean American leaders in the Presbyterian Church in America. We also long to see more Christ centered churches planted to meet the needs of a world in need of the Gospel.
In moving forward to increase ethnic Korean participation and leadership, MNA leadership has agreed to have representation and service in two distinct ways–those who are first generation immigrants whose primary language is Korean, and those who are ethnically Korean but are serving in English speaking ministries (both Korean churches and multiethnic or non-Korean churches).
Vision: Our vision is to produce servant-leaders from the Korean-American community who actively engage with and serve the Presbyterian Church in America.
Mission: We will work toward this vision by doing the following:
- Promote network and fellowship
- Embrace natural affinity as Korean-Americans.
- Practice Gospel-accountability for the sake of sustained ministry.
- Provide culturally contextualized leadership development and ministry training
- Formal and informal mentorship
- Formal training: PCA EM Forum
- Prepare ministers for culturally contextualized church-planting and church revitalization
- Culturally contextualized church-planting assessment center
- Resource KA churches seeking new pastors
Overview of Tasks
- Initiate dialogue with KA pastors and church planters across the country to survey and understand the landscape of experiences of their respective journeys.
- Mobilize key Korean American leaders in various networks and inform them about the new initiatives in place with MNA, introduce our new roles, and gather information from them about how MNA and KALI might be beneficial to them.
- Initiate conversations with various stakeholders in order to raise funds and financial commitments to various programs and services related to our three-fold goal.
- Identify, communicate with and recruit specific individuals to be a part of our KALI Council (this council will be a gathering of approximately a dozen key individuals who have demonstrated experience in Korean American ministries, and/or are influential leaders of networks who can help build strategic partnerships).
Our immediate goal is to cast and share the KALI vision. This includes cultivating pipelines for leadership, and creating opportunities to benefit and serve denominational agencies, as well as quite frankly, generating greater excitement about the participation among Korean Americans in the denomination.
We will also dedicate a significant portion of our time in fundraising. To that end we will be reaching out to Korean-language presbyteries, Korean churches, and other funding agents, as well as cultivating individual donor relationships. Our funding goal is to raise funds to pay for programming.
We ask that you prayerfully consider participating with us through your financial support. You can make a tax-deductible contribution to this ministry online. You can also mail contributions, made payable to Mission to North America, to:
Mission to North America
PO Box 890233
Charlotte NC 28289-0233
Alex Jun, Coordinator
Owen Lee, Operations Director
Moses Lee, Communications Director